Tomorrow we are excited to release our second major PS5 system software update to all PS5 owners around the world. The update includes a variety of improvements to the PS5 console experience as well as 3D audio support for the built-in TV speakers. It also has M.2 SSD storage expansion, which allows PS5 gamers to store and play PS5 games, PS4 games and multimedia applications directly from the extended storage at high speed.
We’re also expanding mobile functionality with support for PS Remote Play on mobile networks starting tomorrow and the ability to view split screen broadcasts on the PS app starting Thursday, September 23.
Thanks to all of the community members who participated in our system update beta. Your support and comments have been invaluable. Here are some of the key new features coming to PS5, PS4 and our mobile apps:
September PS5 system software update features
UX PS5 improvements
The September PS5 update features new UX enhancements that make it easier for gamers to view, customize, and manage their game content and console experience than ever before:
- Customization of the control center. Players can now customize their Control Center more freely by rearranging or choosing which controls to hide or show at the bottom of the screen.
- Improved game base. Players can now easily view and write messages to friends and groups directly from the game base in Control Center.
While viewing Game Base in full screen, players can also see how many of their friends are online, busy, or offline, as well as accept, decline or cancel multiple friend requests at once.
- Updates to the game library and home screen. If you installed the PS4 and PS5 versions of the same game, they will now appear separately in the “Installed” tab of the game library and on the home screen. Each game’s tile now clearly indicates its platform.
- Screen reader controls. Players can now pause or resume the screen reader (press “PS + triangle buttons”) and have it repeat whatever it reads (press “PS + R1 buttons”).
New game and social experience customizations
- PlayStation Now resolution selector and connection test tool. PlayStation Now subscribers can choose between 720p or 1080p (depending on the individual game) to suit their preferred video resolution for game streaming. A streaming connection test also helps them identify and resolve any issues with their connection. .
- New type of distinction: “Leader”. After an online match, players can reward others with a fourth type of distinction, “Leader”, which is visible on player profiles.
- Automatic capture of “best home videos”. When players compete in challenges for a better time or higher score and set a new personal best, a video clip of the action will be automatically recorded. Players can also share snippets of their personal bests directly from the challenge card in Control Center or from their media gallery. Players have direct control over this feature through their catch and broadcast settings.
- New trophy tracker. We have added a new Trophy Tracker that allows players Quickly access five trophies per game via the Control Center.
3D audio support for built-in TV speakers
The September PS5 update adds support for gamers to enjoy 3D audio through their built-in TV speakers. When activated in the Sound menu, this function transforms standard audio from the two-channel TV speakers into three-dimensional sound, enhancing the feeling of being immersed in the game. * Players can measure the acoustics of their room. using the microphone on their DualSense wireless controller to apply the 3D Audio Tuning optimized for their room. **
3D audio through compatible headsets on PS5 is a popular feature among fans and developers. We’re excited to bring this feature to life for gamers directly through their built-in TV speakers, in addition to the headphone support that’s been available since launch.
Additionally, gamers with Pulse 3D wireless headphones now have access to the equalizer settings in the sound controls, allowing them to customize the sound profile to suit their preferences.
M.2 SSD storage expansion
Starting tomorrow, PS5 gamers around the world can expand their storage capacity with an M.2 SSD, a type of high-speed solid-state drive that can be installed in the PS5 console or the PS5 Digital Edition console.
When installed on the PS5 or PS5 Digital Edition console, M.2 SSD storage can be used to download, copy and launch PS5 and PS4 games, as well as multimedia applications. You can play PS5 and PS4 games directly from M.2 SSD storage and freely move games between storage options.
Important: M.2 SSDs must meet the minimum performance and size requirements described in this page. Using an M.2 SSD also requires efficient heat dissipation with a cooling structure (such as a heat sink) that meets dimensional requirements. Please read the page linked above carefully before purchasing an M.2 SSD or cooling rack for use with PS5.
Here’s how to install an M.2 SSD in your PS5 console:
PS Remote Play App and PS App Improvements
- PS Remote Play app on mobile networks
- With the PS Remote Play app, gamers appreciated the ability to remotely stream and play PS4 and PS5 games, switch between games, and navigate their console menus on any compatible device connected to their broadband network. * ** Now gamers using the mobile app for iOS and Android have the option to use a mobile data connection when WiFi is not available.
- A high-speed internet connection of at least 5 Mbps is required for PS Remote Play. For the best experience, we recommend a broadband connection with upload and download speeds of at least 15 Mbps.
- To help manage the amount of data used over a mobile connection, gamers can select their preferred video quality for mobile data streaming.
- Please note that the quality and connectivity of your remote reading experience may vary depending on your mobile operator’s network and network environment.
- View share screen broadcasts on the PS app
- Starting next Thursday, September 23, an update to the PS app will begin rolling out worldwide that will give users the ability to view their friends’ screen share broadcasts together.
- To get started, join a group voice chat from your mobile device with a friend who is playing on a PS5 console. Next, have your friend on PS5 start their share screen broadcast. Please note that only PS5 players can stream via Share Screen.
- The Android version of the update is a progressive version and may take a week until the update is available on your mobile device.
PS4 console improvements
We’re also introducing new features for PS4, including the ability for players to display their PS5 trophies on their PS4 profile and trophy list. Players can also view other players’ PS5 trophies on PS4. On PS4 and PS5 consoles, party owners now also have the option to disband a party without having to remove players individually.
What feature are you most passionate about? Let us know in the comments.
* 3D audio for the built-in TV speakers must be enabled manually through the Sound menu in the system settings of the PS5 console (it is disabled by default).
** A DualSense Wireless Controller update released with September PS5 update is required to enable this feature.
*** For supported devices and compatibility requirements, please visit: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/remote-play/.