by Nathaniel R.
The Gotham Awards, the East Coast indie awards that dovetail nicely with the much later West Coast Spirit Awards, have announced their nominations for the 2022 film year, so we’re officially off! The collaboration of Todd Field and Cate Blanchett TAR and Charlotte Wells’ first film After Sun (both relatively new to theaters) most impressed the various juries that Gotham awards categories each year. They led the way with four nominations each in all 8 film categories. Other movies that have reason to celebrate today include, but are not limited to, Everything everywhere all at once and two films that have yet to open to moviegoers, the gay military drama inspection (November 18) and the return of Sarah Polley with women who talk (December 2). Finally, we have a Double Play nominee this year despite having so few categories with Ben Whishaw nominated for both films (women who talk) and television work (This will hurt).
Full list of nominees after the jump…
Because nominations are juried, there are always big surprises like tiny little-seen films like cathedral and Dos Estaciones factorization in the upper category (but nowhere else). Given the other nominations for inspection however, A24 had maybe almost 2/3 of that list.
Random note: none of these films is in the running for the category of the best docs to the more traditional Critics Choice Awards yet All the beauty and bloodshed and The territory both have nominations for their directors.
BEST INTERNATIONAL FILM
With the exception of Athena (just released) and Event (which France did not select as their Oscar film last season), all of these films hope to attract Oscar attention as they are either submitted for International or are expected to be considered in multiple categories (Banshees)
- Charlotte Wells, After Sun
- Owen Kline, Funny Pages
- Bratton Elegance, inspection
- Antonetta Alamat Kusijanovic, Murina
- Beth de Araujo, sweet and quiet
- Jane Schoenbrun, We’re All Going to the World’s Fair
The Daniels, who led Everything everywhere all at once were nominated in this category in 2016 for Swiss army man even if they didn’t win.
It’s nice to see After Yang and Catherine called Birdy pop up here, two must-see films that are criminally underrated.
- Cate Blanchett, TAR
- Danielle Deadwyler Until
- Dale Dickey, A love song
- Colin Farrel, After Yang
- Brendan Fraser, The whale
- Paul Mescal, After Sun
- Thandiwe Newton, land of the gods
- Place Aubrey, Criminal Emily
- Taylor Russell, bones and all
- Michelle Yeo, Everything everywhere all at once
Tough break for Jeremy Pope, the most visible absentee given the nods of support for inspection. And too bad Colin Farrell wasn’t honored for Banshees of Inisherin which is a stronger performance. But the Gothams strangely avoid overseas performances even though they’re in English. They rule by “producer” rather than actor, so it doesn’t matter where the actor is from, just where their movie is produced. thus the British Aftersun, produced by Americans is eligible while the Irish film, Banshees, is not. (Stupid rule, but you have to have rules to restrict things to juries one supposes).
- Jesse Buckley, women who talk
- Raul Castillo, inspection
- Hong Chau, The whale
- Brian Tyree Henry, Pavement
- Nina Hoss, TAR
- Noemie Merlant, TAR
- Ke Huy Quan, Everything everywhere all at once
- Marc Rylance, bones and all
- Gabrielle Union, inspection
- Ben Wishaw, women who talk
Lots of great performances although I’m on record saying I think Rylance was pretty bad in bones and all, super hammy and leaning on the quirkiness of his super thick character. Which might be fine in some movies but not, I would say, in this one which has a somewhat artful subtlety. However, at the screening I attended for Bone and all the public has gone crazy for his work, so he is a crowd pleaser.
- Anna Cobb, we’re all going to the world’s fair
- Frankie Corio, After Sun
- Anna Diop, nanny
- Gracija Filipovic, Murina
- Kali Reis, catch the beauty
Real stupid story: there was a mix-up/double booking at the airport heading to Middlelburg (where Anna Diop was honored for her Nanny work) and my boyfriend and I nearly crashed Anna Diop’s private car! She was nice about it, but the driver understood her and asked the company to quickly send another driver.
BREAKTHROUGH SERIES – SHORT FORMAT
PERCEE SERIES – LONG FORMAT
OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE IN A NEW SERIES
- Bilal Baig, somehow
- Ayo Edebiri, the bear
- Janelle James, Abbott Elementary
- Minha Kim, Pachinko
- Matilda Lawler, Station Eleven
- Britt Lower, severance pay
- Melanie Lynskey, Yellowjackets
- Zahn McClarnon, Dark Winds
- Sue Ann Pien, as we see it
- Ben Whishaw, this is gonna hurt
REVOLUTIONARY NONCITION SERIES
- Andy Warhold’s Diary (Nextli)
- The Last Movie Stars (HBO Max)
- Mind Over Murder (HBO Max)
- The Rehearsal (HBO Max)
- We need to talk about Cosby (Showtime)