Medical imaging and the use of contrast products are now an integral part of the diagnostic process to determine the best personalized treatments. This, in turn, has spurred the demand for innovative injection systems that offer better control, more safety features, reliable performance and ease of use.
Dedicated to patient safety and meeting the demands of today’s advanced MR procedures, Bracco Diagnostics Inc. presented his EmpowerMR injection system at the 2021 Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) conference in Chicago.
EmpowerMR injection system
Part of Bracco’s SmartInject technology suite, the EmpowerMR injection system is a hydraulically powered magnetic resonance (MR) injector that offers many advanced features that improve ease of use and ultimately result in safe and reliable procedures. successes and operator peace of mind. The system provides a comprehensive approach to ensuring safety and image quality in magnetic resonance imaging.
Rated for use with 1.5T, 3T and up to 7T scanners, the injection system helps capture optimal images.
“The EmpowerMR is a very efficient injector system,” said Chad Durling, Senior Manager, Device Marketing for Bracco Diagnostics Inc. “It is unique in that it is battery-free and powered by an innovative hydraulic system, which runs on vegetable oil (yes, that’s right), which is environmentally safe and does not generate a magnetic field due to its low voltage DC components.This means minimizing radio frequency transients and frequency distortions.
Driving safety and efficiency
The EmpowerMR improves clinical workflow and helps healthcare professionals do more while delivering the best possible patient care. The system offers a full suite of built-in features designed to promote safety and efficiency, including:
- An ARM mode allows the software to perform diagnostic checks prior to injection, as well as guard against unintended injection start.
- A tilt lock helps minimize the risk of air embolism by ensuring the injector only operates in the down position.
- A color-coded light handle lets you know if the injector RAM is moving
- A KVO function offers an additional guarantee that the patient’s vein remains open.
- If an overpressure condition occurs in this mode, the system automatically stops the injection and notifies the technologist to check the occlusion.
- An injection head with no proximity limit with the bore of the scanner.
- Color-coded keys on either side of the injector handle allow you to test, arm, run, and shut down the injector from any most accessible side.
- A remote control with a color LCD display panel with visual prompts to guide you through the process and soft keys to control the injection procedure from the control room.
- User-friendly remote display with anatomical identifiers allows easy viewing and programming of protocols
- The system stores up to 50 distinct contrast protocols.
“All of these features allow technologists to have complete control of the patient,” Durling explained. “Plus, the color-coded handle changes from orange to blue depending on whether it’s injecting contrast or saline, allowing for good visualization if you’re out of the room. You can see when you inject contrast and when you inject saline.
Simplicity and flexibility
Featuring a user-friendly remote interface and an easily accessible help function that provides instant on-screen operational guidance, the system is designed with ease of use and flexibility in mind. Its dual initiation and replacement syringe improves clinical workflow and increases productivity and the eGFR calculator helps calculate the optimal volume of contrast for kidney patients, further enhancing safety measures.
Plus, every EmpowerMR injection system comes with 24/7 technical support, and local technicians are available to provide preventative maintenance, service, and on-site repair.
“Simply put, the EmpowerMR injector system is a very reliable and user-friendly injector. If you have technologists who are cross-trained between the CT and MR systems, this is a very easy transition between the two interfaces. user – an added benefit for our customers, especially these days when healthcare providers are pressured to do more with less and staff fill multiple roles,” said Durling.
Editor’s note: This blog is the third in a four-part series on smart injection technology. The first blog, Smart Injector Technology Delivers Effective and Efficient Patient Care, can be found here. The second blog, Patient-centric Injector Solutions Help CT Departments Take Control, Improve Safety, is available here.