The BBC has urged UK residents to nominate everyday heroes for this year’s Make a Difference Awards.
In 2021, three organizations from Preston were recognized at the BBC Radio Lancashire Awards.
JJeffect won the Education award, Let’s Grow Preston won the Community Project of the Year award, and Here for Humanity received the Fellowship award.
Read more: South Ribble Running Club Awards Late Christmas Funding to Rosemere
Chris Burns, head of audio and digital for BBC England, said: “The past two years have been difficult for everyone.
“Listeners reached out to us to share the stories of how people helped each other, and we wanted to find a way to celebrate these unsung heroes and tell these incredible stories.”
Residents who make a difference where they live will be recognized through a new community awards scheme run by every local BBC radio station in England.
Read more: Ukrainian photographer to raise money for war victims with portrait session at Avenham Park
The awards honor outstanding individuals, highlighting their achievements and contributions to the life of their communities.
Make A Difference was set up at the start of the first lockdown and is a virtual bulletin board for those offering help and needing support, with over eight million people interacting on the 39 local radio stations from the BBC.
The categories cover each community’s unsung heroes from great neighbours, inspirational teachers, volunteers and outstanding key workers.
Read more: Penwortham scout group withdraws to raise funds in Ukraine
There are eight award categories, nominations are now open and they close on April 29, 2022 at 11 p.m.
The winners will be announced at the Make a Difference Awards organized by the various local BBC radio stations at a ceremony in September.
The categories are as follows:
- Volunteer – awarded to a person who makes a real difference in the community by volunteering their time to help a charity or good cause.
- Community group – awarded to a group of people who have made a real difference in the lives of others in the community.
- Fundraising – awarded to an individual or group of people who have gone the extra mile to raise money for a charity or good cause.
- Caregiver – awarded to a person who improves the life of an individual or a group of people by taking care of them on a regular basis.
- great neighbor – awarded to an individual or group of people who help make the neighborhood or local community a better place to live or work, either on a regular basis or through a simple act of kindness.
- key worker – awarded to a key worker who has gone above and beyond to help others.
- Environmental Award – awarded to a person or a group of people who contribute to making our living environment more respectful of the environment.
- The Together Prize – awarded to an individual or group of people who create real change by breaking down barriers and bringing people from different backgrounds together for a common cause.
For more information visit – bbc.co.uk/makeadifference.
See what’s happening near you by entering your postcode below or visit InYourArea
Read more: See the latest news and headlines from Preston
Do you know someone who deserves recognition? Let us know in the comments below.