Augsburg and Reece Oxford are expected to have their hands full against VfB Stuttgart whether or not Omar Marmoush competes in their Swabian derby on Sunday (kick off: 3:30 p.m. CET).
>> Click here for the Augsburg-Stuttgart LIVE blog!
Oxford himself admitted he had not played well as Augsburg succumbed to a 4-1 loss at Mainz last Friday, three goals behind in the opening 26 minutes. Substitute Andi Zeqiri got consolation late in the second half and could enter the starting XI as Markus Weinzierl seeks a reaction from his side. Located in the Bavarian part of Swabia, Die Fuggerstädter Also find themselves at the south end of the table and in the final three after nine games – two points behind Auto Safety and four of their opponents this weekend. Weinzierl named a solid side for Wednesday’s shootout loss to Bochum in the DFB Cup second round, having finished 2-2 after 120 minutes with Oxford among the scorers. Fresh legs may be needed, but major changes are not expected.
Marmoush missed Stuttgart’s 2-0 cup loss to Cologne during the week with the same ankle problem that saw him go through the 1-1 draw against Union Berlin last Sunday. The Egypt international returned to training this week, but not long enough to be featured here. Wahid Faghir – who equalized for 10 men in the 93rd minute – is expected to lead the line in his place. Further on, Atakan Karazor is suspended after being sent off the last time in the league. Goals can come from anywhere in this Pellegrino Matarazzo side, however, with center-backs Konstantinos Mavropanos and Marc-Oliver Kempf the Bundesliga’s strongest defenders this season with three apiece.
To concern: Stuttgart saved a draw last weekend
- Zeqiri has scored twice in his last three games. He also had an effort ruled out during this time.
- Augsburg is the top scorer in the current campaign, alongside Arminia Bielefeld (five goals).
- The Bavarians have taken just nine points in 12 Bundesliga games since Weinzierl’s return as coach in May (V2, D3, L6). He oversaw 23 games in charge of Stuttgart in 2018/19, losing his job after a 6-0 defeat at Augsburg.
- Faghir is Stuttgart’s ninth different goalscorer in the Bundesliga this season. Only Borussia Dortmund have a bigger gap (10).
- Only Danilo Soares (121) from Bochum won more challenges than Stuttgart midfielder Wataru Endo (120) before Matchday 10.
- Four matches are VfB’s longest unbeaten streak since five unbeaten in February-March 2021. However, they have been winless on the road since the penultimate weekend of last season.
Augsburg: Gikiewicz – Gumny, Gouweleeuw (c), Oxford – Caligiuri, Maier, Gruezo, Pedersen – Hahn – Zeqiri, Vargas
Outside: Sarenren Bazee (knee), Uduokhai (hamstrings)
Doubtful: Dorsch (sick), Iago (hand), Jensen (sick), Niederlechner (groin)
Coach: Markus Weinzierl
Stuttgart: Bredlow – Mavropanos, Anton, Kempf – Coulibaly, Mangala, Endo (c), Sosa – Führich, Klimowicz – Faghir
Outside: Kalajdzic (shoulder), Karazor (suspended), Marmoush (ankle), Millot (knee), Silas (knee), Thommy (fitness match)
Doubtful: Massimo (fitness match), Müller (fitness match), Nartey (muscular)
Coach: Pellegrino Matarazzo